Protecting and restoring the watersheds of Lake Superior, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron while serving the communities of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
The SWP Mission: to protect and improve the natural resources of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on a watershed basis; by promoting responsible individual and community actions that ensure a sustainable environment, encourage a sustainable economy and help improve quality of life.
The Superior Watershed Partnership (SWP) is an award winning Great Lakes non-profit organization that has set national records for pollution prevention and implements innovative, science-based programs that achieve documented environmental, economic and educational results.
The SWP staff includes biologists, planners, technicians and educators who provide creative, science-based solutions for a wide range of Great Lakes challenges facing communities and watersheds across the Upper Peninsula. Read More
Concert for Lake Superior Video:
World renowned conductor Esa Pekka Salonen introduces the Concert for Lake Superior. The Superior Watershed Partnership sponsors the concert including the Boreal Chamber Symphony and other regional musicians.
The SWP staff provides innovative, effective solutions for addressing a variety of emerging Great Lakes issues:
The SWP is the regional leader in planning and implementing science-based habitat restoration projects:
- 70% increase in targeted fish populations!
- 3 priority dams removed/miles of trout streams restored
- Hundreds of acres of invasive plant species eradicated.
- Improved regional land use policies and model ordinances.
- Thousands of tons of sediment prevented from entering local rivers.
- 12,000 trees planted across 15 counties
The SWP is a local organization working with local communities and local people:
- Enhancing sustainable economic development in the UP through nature-based tourism
- 20 Citizen Advisory Watershed Councils
- Assisting Local Units of Government and Communities
- Earth Keeper Network (150 churches, 10 faiths)
- Partnering with five Native American Tribes.
- Great Lakes Cities Initiative and other partners.
The SWP is committed to training the next generation of Great Lakes stewards:
SWP releases regional climate plan.
Marquette's BetterBuildings for Michigan Program has extended. Learn more
Our latest storm drain education advertisements.
Will Climate Change Impact the Upper Peninsula Economy? Click on your county and find out!
Improve Marquette's storm water quality and better protect Lake Superior Learn more
Join us on June 19th-21st, 2013 Learn more
Restoration of over 3,000 feet of Lake Superior shoreline. Learn more
The New Improved Great Lakes Shoreviewer!
The Superior Watershed Partnership is pleased to provide FREE high resolution color photography for every inch of Great Lakes coastline in the Upper Peninsula including Lake Superior, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Great Lakes ShoreViewer
The SWP will conduct monitoring at Eagle Mine, Humboldt Mill and along approved truck routes.