WE ARE RESULTS DRIVEN
The SWP is the regional leader in planning and implementing science-based habitat restoration projects.
The SWP’s highest priority is implementing on-the-ground projects that improve water quality, mitigate climate change, reduce carbon emissions, restore degraded habitats, build resilient communities, educate young people and protect the Great Lakes!
The SWP staff (biologists, technicians, planners, educators) uses sound science to design creative, sustainable solutions to address a wide variety of environmental, social and economic issues facing northern Great Lakes communities.
The SWP uses before and after monitoring to document improvements for almost all projects including; water quality, habitat restoration, climate adaptation, energy conservation, pollution prevention and many other environmental and community projects.
Great Lakes Pollution Prevention
The SWP staff provides innovative, effective solutions for addressing a variety of emerging Great Lakes issues:
- 40% Reduction in Mercury entering Lake Superior.
- 45 tons of Household Hazardous Waste collected in one day!
- 352 tons of electronic waste (e-waste) collected in one day!
- 2,000 pounds of old medications collected in one day!
- Improved storm water quality and cleaner beaches!
Great Lakes Habitat Restoration
The SWP is the regional leader in planning and implementing science-based habitat restoration projects:
- 70% increase in targeted fish populations!
- 3 priority dams removed/miles of trout streams restored.
- 2,400+ of acres of invasive plant species eradicated.
- Improved regional land use policies and model ordinances.
- Thousands of tons of sediment prevented from entering local rivers.
- Over 48,000 trees planted across 15 counties.
How We Makes a Difference
The SWP is a local organization working with local communities and local people:
- Enhancing sustainable economic development in the UP through nature-based tourism.
- 20 Citizen Advisory Watershed Councils
- Assisting Local Units of Government and Communities.
- Earth Keeper Network (200+ churches, 10 faiths)
- Partnering with five Native American Tribes.
- Great Lakes Cities Initiative and other partners.
SWP Youth Programs
The SWP is committed to training the next generation of Great Lakes stewards: