Energy Conservation and Assistance
Superior Watershed Partnership
Michigan Energy Assistance Program (SWP MEAP)
NEED ASSISTANCE WITH YOUR HEAT AND ELECTRIC BILLS?
WE ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF FUNDING UNTIL OCTOBER 2023
The Superior Watershed Partnership is a Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Navigation and Referral Partner for the Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP).
UP Residents needing energy assistance should call the Superior Watershed Partnership Energy Office at 906-273-2742. Case Workers are here to help!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT APPLYING FOR ENERGY ASSISTANCE IN MICHIGAN
- Michigan residents must first apply for a State Emergency Relief (SER) assist through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS).
- Each household can only receive one SER assist for heat and one SER assist for electric through the MDHHS per heating season (October through September).
- Any additional energy assistance must be received through a Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) Grantee.
- If you would like to work with our program, select the Superior Watershed Partnership as your Referral Partner on your MI Bridges on-line application by selecting the Navigator button at the bottom of every MI Bridges page. The SWP will receive your referral and will contact you within 2 business days to schedule your self-sufficiency services and explain the process for future energy requests.
- If you completed a paper SER application and were approved, please call 906-273-2742 for details on how to connect with the SWP for future assists.
- The SWP can assist with most SER co-pays.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ENERGY ASSISTANCE
- If you have access to a computer you can apply on-line using MI BRIDGES https://newmibridges.michigan.gov/
- If you need assistance filling out the MI Bridges SER application please contact the SWP Energy Office at 906-273-2742 to schedule an appointment or find an Access Partner near you.
- Pick up a paper application at your local MDHHS office. All SER applications must be submitted to your local MDHHS office.
CONNECTING WITH THE SUPERIOR WATERSHED PARTNERSHIP
SWP MEAP SERVICES
- Short-term, long-term case management, and referrals
- Energy assistance for electricity, natural gas, propane, fuel oil, and firewood
- Energy Conservation and Financial Education Workshops
- Affordable Payment Plans with Consumers Energy, DTE, SEMCO and UPPCO
- Home Energy Score Assessments
- Solar panel array installation for up to 5 eligible households
In order to qualify for MEAP assistance, a family/household must be low-income with a total household income at or below the 150% US Federal Poverty Level. In order to qualify for an energy waste reduction program through your utility provider, a family/household must have a total household income at or below 200% of the federal Poverty Level.
View the Federal Poverty Eligibility chart below:
MI BRIDGES APPLICATIONS REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
- State Id for applicant
- Social Security card for applicant
- Social Security numbers for all household members
- Copy of energy bill showing past due charges or quote for fuel oil/propane/wood
- For fuel oil and propane your tank must be 25% or below
- For wood you should apply when you have two weeks or less of wood
- For electric and natural gas you must have past due charges showing on your current bill
- Bank statement from the past 30 days
- Proof of income for everyone in the household for the past 30 days
- Proof of assets (car registration, proof of home ownership)
- Some assets such as your homestead, one vehicle, personal and household goods are excluded
MEAP PROGRAM INFORMATION
- Navigation Partners and Access Partners can help you complete your MI Bridges application.
- You can select your Referral Partner when submitting your MI Bridges application online. The Referral Partner will contact you within 2 business days and will work with you to complete a Self-Sufficiency Plan and Needs Assessment.
- The first 250 households that attend an in-person Self-Sufficiency Workshop will receive a Home Energy Kit valued at $25.00.
- Home Energy Scores will be offered to eligible clients. Participating households will receive a comprehensive Department of Energy Home Energy Score report and weatherization kit valued at $50.
- Up to 100 households will receive weatherization based on the Home Energy Score report recommendations.
- Up to 5 eligible households will receive Residential Solar Panel Arrays.
MEAP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Everyone must receive an SER payment from MDHHS first before the SWP can release any direct energy assistance payments for that energy type.
- Upon completion of the Energy Security Plan, Workshop, and Needs Assessment, the household will be eligible for an affordable payment plan and up to two additional energy assists not to exceed $2,000 per household in the grant term running October 1st through September 30th
- If you require more than 2 assists you may be required to complete an Energy Action Plan.
- Affordable payment plans (APP) will be offered to customers of DTE, Consumers Energy, SEMCO and UPPCO whose households are deemed eligible.
Still have questions? Call us at 906-273-2742 or visit the State of Michigan website for more information on MEAP.
The Superior Watershed Partnership supports kids (and parents) who conserve energy. Learn more here.