Superior Watershed Partnership
Michigan Energy Assistance Program (SWP MEAP)
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Navigation and Referral Partner for the Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT APPLYING FOR ENERGY ASSISTANCE IN MICHIGAN
- Everyone must first apply for a State Emergency Relief (SER) assist through the MDHHS
- Each household can only receive one SER assist for heat and one SER assist for electric through the MDHHS
- Any additional energy assistance must be received through a Referral Partner
- If you would like to work with the SWP select the Superior Watershed Partnership as your Referral Partner on your MIBridges on-line application after you hit the submit button. The SWP will receive your referral and will contact you within 2 business days for a household interview to plan your self-sufficiency services and explain the process for future energy requests.
- If you would like to work with the SWP and you completed a paper SER application and were approved please call 906-273-2742 for details on how to connect with us for future assists.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ENERGY ASSISTANCE BEGINNING OCTOBER 1ST 2018
- If you have access to a computer you can apply on-line at MI BRIDGES https://newmibridges.michigan.gov
- If you need assistance filling out the MIBridges SER application please contact the SWP Energy Office at 906-273-2742 to schedule an appointment or find an Access Partner near you.
- Pick up a paper application at your local MDHHS office.
SWP MEAP SERVICES
- Short-term and long-term case management
- Energy assistance for electricity, natural gas, propane, fuel oil, and firewood
- Energy Conservation and Financial Education Workshops
- Affordable Payment Plans with DTE & SEMCO
- Home Energy Assessments
- Solar panel array installation for up to 8 eligible households
In order to qualify for assistance, a family/household must be low-income with a total household income at or below the 150% US Federal Poverty Level. View the 2018 Federal Poverty Eligibility chart below:
2018 Federal Poverty Level (FPL) Guideline Tables
|Family Size||150% MONTHLY FPL|
|Additional Family Member Add||$540|
MI BRIDGES APPLICATIONS REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
- State Id for applicant
- Social Security card for applicant
- Social Security numbers for all household members
- Copy of energy bill showing past due charges or quote for fuel oil/propane/wood
- For fuel oil and propane your tank must be 25% or below
- For wood you should apply when you are down to two weeks of wood
- For electric and natural gas you must have past due charges showing on your current bill
- Bank statement from the past 30 days
- To qualify you must not have more than $50 in your account
- Some assets such as homestead, one vehicle, personal and household goods are excluded
- Proofs of income everyone in house past 30 days
- Proof of assets (car registration, proof of home ownership)
- You are required to pay a portion of your bill. The table below provides the amount you are expected to pay. MDHHS may be able to assist with the amount of your bill above your required payment when heating or electric service has been or will be shut off.
|Household||Heat: Your Required Payment||Electric: Your Required Payment|
NEW THIS GRANT TERM
- Everyone must receive a SER payment from MDHHS first before the SWP can release any direct energy assistance payments.
- Navigation Partners and Access Partners can help you complete your MI Bridges application.
- You can select your Referral Partner when submitting your MI Bridges application on-line.
- The Referral Partner will contact you within 2 business days and will work with you to complete a self-sufficiency plan.
- Upon completion of the self-sufficiency plan the household will be eligible for additional energy assists not to exceed $2,000 per household in the grant term between October 1st2018 through September 30th
- The first 500 households that attend the in-person Energy Conservation and Budgeting Workshop will receive a Home Energy Efficiency Kit valued at $25.00
- Affordable payment plans (APP) will be offered to customers of DTE and SEMCO for those households that are deemed eligible.
- Home Energy Assessments will be offered to eligible clients. Participating households can receive up to $85.00 of weatherization materials (ex; draft sealing, hot water pipe wrap, installing LED bulbs, etc.)
- Up to 8 eligible households will receive solar panel arrays.
SELF SUFFICIENCY SERVICES
Still have questions? Call us at 906-273-2742 or visit the State of Michigan website for more information on MEAP.
The Superior Watershed Partnership supports kids (and parents) who conserve energy. Learn more here.