Native Plant Restoration
The SWP implements habitat restoration projects on many different levels including invasive species removal, native species planting, road/stream culvert replacement, and much more!
Resources for Learning
What are native plants?
We can consider plants native if they were here before Michigan was settled by Europeans in the 1700’s.
Benefits of native plants
- require less water
- require less fertilizer
- require less pesticide
- require less care & maintenence
- provide habitat & food for many birds, insects, mammals, & other wildlife
- increase in rain water infiltration due to deep root system
- reduction of stormwater runoff
- adapted to Michigan weather/climate/soils
- enrich soil
- prevent erosion
For more information or to find a native plant distributor near you click here.