A Resource For Communities in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
The Climate Adaptation Task Force (CATF) was formed to help prepare local leaders and the general public to think proactively about the effects of climate change and to develop strategies that will make the Upper Peninsula more resilient and effective when dealing with the consequences of climate change.
- This effort is intended to encourage community leaders to think in a proactive fashion about how climate change may affect Marquette County and the Upper Peninsula region.
- The intent is to identify long-term trends that may have potential positive and/or negative impacts on the local environment.
- This effort does not require that all participants agree on the basic underlying cause(s) of climate change. Rather, it proceeds on the assumption that climate change is occurring and that it will have an impact on the local area.
- This effort does not require agreement on an overall solution to the problem of global warming. Rather, the point is to encourage the local community to think proactively in order to become more resilient and effective when dealing with the consequences of climate change.
- This effort is not interested in “reinventing the wheel”. Rather, it recognizes the need to identify “best practices” developed in other communities and regions that could be retrofitted for use in the Upper Peninsula.
- This effort is not intended to replace the work of existing units of government, planning agencies or other private and nonprofit organizations. Rather, the intent is for it to serve as catalyst prompting established governmental units and other local businesses and organizations to think proactively and develop policies that will enable the community to respond to changing environmental conditions.
*NEXT CATF MEETING: October 18th, 2018 at 10am in Cohodas 604, NMU*
CATF MEETING RESOURCES
CLIMATE ADAPTATION PLANS
- Climate Adaptation, Mitigation & Implementation Plan for Lake Superior Communities
- Marquette County Climate Adaptation Plan
- City of Marquette Climate Adaptation Plan
- Michigan Climate and Public Health Adaptation Plan
CLIMATE HEALTH PROJECT
- MICHAP CATF Climate Health Presentation- 9/5/17
- Marquette Area Climate and Health Adaptation Policy Recommendations_7-19-18
- Climate Health Update_7-19-18
NORTHERN CLIMATE NETWORK
OTHER CLIMATE RESOURCES
- NOAA Midwest Climate Trends Report
- US Global Climate Change Impact Report
- Michigan Report on Potential Public Health Impacts of Climate Change
- Michigan Climate Coalition
- Great Lakes Integrated Sciences and Assessments
- Confronting Climate Change; Union of Concerned Scientists
- White House Climate Tool Kit
- EPA CREAT Program
- 2015 Michigan Climate and Health Profile Report
- Great Lakes Climate Stats
- Yale Climate Opinion Maps