Great Lakes Pollution Prevention
The SWP staff provides innovative, effective solutions for addressing a variety of emerging Great Lakes issues:
- 40% Reduction in Mercury entering Lake Superior.
- 45 tons of Household Hazardous Waste collected in one day!
- 352 tons of electronic waste (e-waste) collected in one day!
- 2,000 pounds of old medications collected in one day!
- Improved storm water quality and cleaner beaches!
Great Lakes Habitat Restoration
The SWP is the regional leader in planning and implementing science-based habitat restoration projects:
- 70% increase in targeted fish populations!
- 3 priority dams removed/miles of trout streams restored.
- 2,400+ of acres of invasive plant species eradicated.
- Improved regional land use policies and model ordinances.
- Thousands of tons of sediment prevented from entering local rivers.
- Over 48,000 trees planted across 15 counties.
How We Makes a Difference
The SWP is a local organization working with local communities and local people:
- Enhancing sustainable economic development in the UP through nature-based tourism.
- 20 Citizen Advisory Watershed Councils
- Assisting Local Units of Government and Communities.
- Earth Keeper Network (200+ churches, 10 faiths)
- Partnering with five Native American Tribes.
- Great Lakes Cities Initiative and other partners.
SWP Youth Programs
The SWP is committed to training the next generation of Great Lakes stewards: