For almost a decade the SWP has coordinated annual environmental events for over 200 Upper Peninsula Earth Keeper congregations representing ten faiths (Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, Jewish, Buddhist, Bahai, Unitarian and Quaker). Many of these Earth Keepers events have set Great Lakes records for pollution prevention (including 312 tons of electronic waste collected in one day)! For 2012, the focus is household water conservation. The SWP provided thousands of free multi-purpose kitchen sink aerators that conserve 40% more water plus an EPA checklist of 10 home water conservation tips. Earth Keeper milestones include:
- 2012: Water conservation for 200 congregations.
- 2011: Sponsored river and beach clean-ups UP-wide.
- 2010: 100,000 CFL light bulbs distributed.
- 2009: Thousands of home energy assessments.
- 2008: 10,000 pine trees planted.
- 2007: 2,200 pounds of medications collected.
- 2006: 312 tons of electronic waste collected.
- 2005: 47 tons of household hazardous waste collected.
If your church is interested in becoming an Earth Keeper congregation please contact the SWP for more information.